Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What a clunker!

Posted by TheYank at 8/11/2009 5:30 PM EDT

The Clunker Law.

Back in the 90s Ireland had its "Scrappage Scheme", which was basically an Irish version of the Clunker Law. Only the Scrappage Scheme operated differently and was much less of a talking point.

I can't remember the details now, but car owners were encouraged to upgrade from old to new with £1,000 of government money. The government hoped to encourage people to trade in old 'bangers' for newer cars and, consequently, make the roads safer. I don't think the environment was much more than a passing interest in the Irish law and the

The environment didn't figure - not that I remember anyway - and I don't think the car industry was much of a factor either (there is not auto manufacturing in Ireland). The argument was that too many people were driving cars that were too old and unsafe so the government provided an incentive for people to upgrade. I remember little or no objection to the law. And little discussion.

That's why I'm enjoying the whole Clunker Law thing so much. Americans love talking about cars. I don't think I've gone an evening during my ten days in America without hearing about the Clunker Law. I even overheard two men talking about it at the Met game last Wednesday. (The Mets themselves are clunkers and should be traded in!)

Maybe it's only the people I've been talking to, but it's amazing how much conversation is about the Clunker Law. I haven't met anyone who thinks the law is a good idea, even though two of the people I've spoken to have taken advantage of it and others are considering it. And a radio discussion on a local station was almost entirely negative. I'm sure there are arguments in favor, but I haven't come across them yet. Maybe if I was visiting Detroit rather than upstate NY ...

Most of the complaints I've heard center on:
perfectly good cars are being junked;
the law rewards those who in the past bought gas-guzzlers and ignores those who bought environmentally-friendly cars;
it will provide a temporary boost to the car industry, but one that will fade away quickly;
those who sell used cars will lose out;
people only have so much money and what people will spend on new cars will not be spent on new, (mostly) American-made, more energy-efficient fridges, washing machines, dishwashers, etc.
To be honest, I don't really care, but I'm enjoying it. It's just a real piece of Americana. Changes to health care and tax laws are one thing, but when the American's car is in the mix, well, it's a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment