Monday, July 6, 2009

Island of Ireland Peace Park

One place I was keen to see during our two-day sojourn was the Island of Ireland Peace Park. The Peace Park is near Mesen (Messines) just south of Ieper (Ypres).

I wasn't as happy with the Peace Park as I thought I was going to be. Why? Well, mostly because I had read that the Park was dedicated to those who "served with the Armies of Australia, Britain, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States." {Although, reading it again I realize I misread what was said.} So, when I saw that those who served with the American (or Canadian or Australian or etc.) forces were not included I couldn't help wondering why not. They all fought on the same side, no?

Then there was the Peace Pledge stone. I know the Peace Park was partly a response to the Good Friday Agreement, but still something about the pledge made me cringe. I'll leave it to you to make up your own minds.

Just inside the gate there are eight stones with short verses written by Irishmen who served in the war. Ledwidge and Kettle were the only names I recognized. I'm not sure if I was supposed to recognize the others; I'm not sure it matters.



There are also three small pillars representing the three Irish divisions:
  • 10th (Irish) Div. - 9,363 casualties
  • 16th (Irish) Div. - 28,398 casualties
  • 36th (Ulster) Div. - 32,186 casualties
Another disappointment were the books. Inside the round tower was a set of books listing every Irish member of the British Army who died during the war. Tremendous resource with all the names listed alphabetically. Unfortunately, a few of the books were missing. I hope they have only been removed temporarily, but it would have been on bother to take one with me if I'd been so inclined. I can't imagine anyone doing that, but the books were missing. Maybe they should have been on chains tied to the wall? That would have prevented the books going missing, but also would have prevented me from bringing one outside the Tower to look for Patrick Conway's listing.





The Round Tower is a nice feature - Irish, yet it fits in with the country-side. When it's a bit older it will be even better.

Overall, I think the Park is not bad, but it lacks some of the poignancy you get from the older monuments erected when the memory of the war and the carnage was fresh. I'd still recommend a visit, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment