Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Don't ... Lie To Me

Posted by TheYank at 7/14/2009 8:09 AM EDT

Do you watch television? I do and I don't. I find myself in front of the box often, but other than sporting events or a good movie, I rarely pay attention and bury my head in a newspaper or whatever. I only wish I'd done that 10 days ago.

Why? Because on my television set was one of the dumbest shows I've ever seen called Lie to Me. Fortunately, my daughter knew it was ridiculous, but she found enjoyment in that. She started (and has continued) making the odd faces that are a feature of Lie to Me. I could only feel embarrassment because it just made me cringe. As I watched I kept repeating, "Whatever happened to cop shows like Kojak?" {And, I haven't seen an episode of Kojak in many, many years so in my memory it was just great and I'll accept no arguments to the contrary.}

I couldn't believe anyone could make such an appalling show. I found it nearly impossible to accept that anyone would actually watch and enjoy it. And I refused to consider that anyone at the station I was watching - I think it was Irish channel TV3 - would have paid for such gar-bage (use Marv Albert's pronunciation).

I comforted myself with the thought that the show was on some very small American cable network and that TV3 had picked it up for free. While that wouldn't change my perception of the show, it would at least ease my mind with regards to what the American public expects in a cop show. But, I was wrong. Lie to Me is on Fox and has been picked up for a second season. What's gone wrong with America?

No comments:

Post a Comment