Monday, June 29, 2009

On the Luas

A few weeks ago I wrote about the DART. The DART is special because it runs right along the coast for stretches and gives you a great view. Between Dalkey & Killiney it runs along a cliff on the coast, which only makes the view more special.

On Saturday I had a rare opportunity to ride the Luas, Dublin's light rail system.


The Luas doesn't offer the scenery that you can get from the DART, but it is quick getting into the city from Sandyford on the southern outskirts of Dublin. Takes about 20 minutes. I like it because it's got a different feel from the DART and it's newer and cleaner. And because it's light rail it runs along the street for a while, which gives a different view than a train that is kind of cut off from the city around it.

And the Luas stops right above the Grand Canal, which is a great place. I spent a few years working near the canal and I loved walking along it and eating my lunch there when the weather was good. Also, back when I was an impoverished and hungry student in this city I used to go for long walks along the canal with my girlfriend (now my wife).
I'm only sorry that they needed that steel girder right in the middle of my picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment