Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Irish? American? Irish-American? American-Irish?

A recent article in the Gorey Guardian caught my eye. Andrew Cody, from Gorey Co. Wexford, graduated from the US Naval Academy last month. Cody got to shake hands with President Obama at the ceremony.

I like this article because it's clear that the Gorey Guardian believes that Cody's accomplishment is a source of local pride. It's not a tone that you'd find often in the Dublin-based media.

I was also struck by the Gorey Guardian's claim that Cody is the "first Irish person to attend and graduate" from the Academy. Hmm. I guess the first thing we'd have to agree on is the definition of an "Irish person" because clearly the Gorey Guardian is excluding Irish-Americans, who have been graduating from Annapolis probably since the day it opened back in 1845.

Okay, so they're focused on people (a) born or (b) raised here, I guess. I can live with that. Yet, one of the basic eligibility requirements for admission to the Academy is that you are a citizen of the United States. So I have to assume that Cody is American as well as Irish. So, maybe not Irish-American, but Cody is at a minimum American-Irish. See how confusing this gets? Probably better to leave off the "first Irish person" stuff.

How much better it would have been if the Gorey Guardian had simply linked Cody with Wexford's own John Barry, father of the American Navy.

{Statue of Barry outside Independence Hall, Philadelphia.}

---------------
Comments:

Padraig wrote:
I love this article. truly. truly.
6/27/2009 4:58 AM EDT


TheYank wrote:
Thanks Padraig.
6/29/2009 1:39 PM EDT


Ajreaper wrote:
I have to offer props as well Yank very nicely said- I had the good fortune a number of years back to spend three days at the Naval academy on business and it is a most impressive place by any standard you could choose to apply and the most impressive thing is the quality of young men and women who are found there. My heartfelt congratulations to Andrew and one can certainly understand the pride in his accomplishment back home regardless of how it is spun.
6/29/2009 2:10 PM EDT


Padraig wrote:
keep'm comin yank.
6/29/2009 2:31 PM EDT


TheYank wrote:
Ajreaper,

I've never been to Annapolis, but my best friend from high school went there. It is a first rate institution and attracts the best America has to offer. That Andrew from Gorey was accepted and graduated from there is no mean feat.
6/29/2009 4:46 PM EDT

Ajreaper wrote:
Yank- should you ever get the opportunity to visit you'll never forget it. when we were there it was pre 9/11 and we had freedom to go where ever we chose when we chose, the grounds, chapel, and museum everything left one in awe. To be accepted and to graduate speaks very highly of an individual without question.
6/29/2009 10:31 PM EDT


TheYank wrote:
Ajreaper,

I'm hoping I can get there someday. I really want to take the family to Washington, but so far that hasn't worked out. Maybe when I finally get that arranged, I can detour towards Annapolis.
7/3/2009 7:14 PM EDT

No comments:

Post a Comment